It’s October, my favorite time of the year. I love fall and, more importantly, I love Halloween. I’ve always be big on this holiday. As a kid, it wasn’t because of candy that made me like the time of year–it was the costumes and the decorations. For as long as I can remember, my mom had scary Halloween decorations all over the house and the yard. I even got a skull candle as a gift from my great-grandmother as a preschooler. Yep, Halloween is my time of the year.
I never considered myself Goth, although that was big when I was a teenager. But I love things that lend themselves to the Goth movement. Anything Victorian and a bit creepy is all for me. If it looks like it belongs in the Munster’s or the Addams Family homes, then I’ll probably want it.
Since Steampunk is also a huge favorite look, I wanted to do something that would be useful for a Halloween decoration. Last year I thought about making a jack o’ lantern in the steampunk style. Halloween crept up on me before I could get it started, so it had to wait until a few weeks ago. I decided this year my steampunk Jack would be made.
I started with a plastic jack o’ lantern, you know the kind you probably had as a kid. My mom likes to shop after holidays, so at some point she picked up one of these. I added dimensional paint to the plastic pumpkin to simulate rivets.
Next I needed a top hat because what self respecting Steampunk Jack would go without one? Right? First, I researched making a top hat. There are lots of tutorials online about making steampunk style top hats. I wasn’t sure if I’d make one or buy something. My goal was to spend as little money as possible but make a killer Steampunk Jack. Luck would have it that will in Target I found a plastic party hat for one dollar.
More dimensional paint.
Next, the black had to go. I wanted it to look more leathery or cloth-like. I painted it brown first. Then did a faux finish on it in gold, cooper and gray.
After the hat was somewhat finished, I when to work on the pumpkin. My original idea was to put a silver wash on the pumpkin to let the orange show through. But the paint I had didn’t cover well at all so I ended up using spray paint to cover the whole surface.
After I painted Jack, I sent to photo to a friend and he made a great suggestion. He thought I should put some copper highlight on it. I agreed since this was close to what I had originally envisioned my Jack to look like. So he became this:
I was pleased with this little change. My friend also suggested that my tophat needed some type of gear buckle. I added some electrical tape for the band and a large washer, painted gold, and some lock washers that look like gears. Plus a black feather.
And finally, Steampunk Jack was finished: